Analytics

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Advantage

Things that we cannot control, we must accept, and one of the core Stoic principles is that we can control nothing outside ourselves. A corollary of this is that there is no point in seeking to gain an advantage in controlling the outside world, since it is by nature uncontrollable.

Epictetus writes:
But show me that he who has the inferior principles overpower him to who is superior in principles. You will never show this, nor come near showing it; for this is the law of nature and of God that the superior shall always overpower the inferior. In what? In that in which it is superior. One body is stronger than another: many are stronger than one: the thief is stronger than he who is not a thief. This is the reason why I also lost my lamp, because in wakefulness the thief was superior to me. But the man bought the lamp at this price: for a lamp he became a thief, a faithless fellow, and like a wild beast. This seemed to him a good bargain. Be it so. But a man has seized me by the cloak, and is drawing me to the public place: then others bawl out, Philosopher, what has been the use of your opinions? See you are dragged to prison, you are going to be beheaded. And what system of philosophy could I have made so that, if a stronger man should have laid hold of my cloak, I should not be dragged off; that if ten men should have laid hold of me and cast me into prison, I should not be cast in? Have I learned nothing else then? I have learned to see that every thing which happens, if it be independent of my will, is nothing to me. I may ask, if you have not gained by this. Why then do you seek advantage in any thing else than in that in which you have learned that advantage is?
I think this overstates the point. We can control external events, at least to some extent. I may not be able to ensure I never get physically attacked, for example, but I can be alert, have martial art training, carry a weapon, or do whatever else may be necessary to protect myself. It's not a guarantee, but it helps. I think it therefore helps to try and gain advantages that pertain to the external world. But we need to heed the Stoic's warning, and judge those advantages carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment