Analytics

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

As for my mother, she taught me to have regard for religion, to be generous and open-handed, and not only to forbear from doing anybody an ill turn, but not so much as to endure the thought of it.  By her likewise I was bred to a plain, inexpensive way of living, very different from the common luxury of the rich.
Marcus Aurelius here writes in praise of his mother.  This is a great example for us.  Expressing gratitude, especially through the written word, is not only a good deed, but it's emotionally helpful.  This Mother's Day, take a moment and actually write out a few thoughts on why you are thankful for your mother.  Write it and save it to your computer, or just write it out on paper and throw it away.  Just the act of doing this will be helpful.

I'll follow my own advice here, and give a few thoughts on my mother.

My mother wasn't particularly religious, for which I'm very thankful.  She did have a good moral sense, though, and I was raised to know right from wrong.  She spent countless hours cleaning, driving me to activities, helping me with whatever I was doing.  When I was in 6th grade, she bought me a computer, which was pretty much the pivotal experience in my life.  She cared for me when I was sick, and amused me with her unique humor when I was well.  She put up with my bad humors and craziness with the patience of a saint. Kids never really understand how much work is involved in taking care of them, and I'm not exception.  I realize it now, though.  Thanks, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment