Analytics

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The daily review

This month I want to try out a new practice, this one most thoroughly Stoic: the daily review.

Seneca writes:
It is dangerous for a man too suddenly, or too easily, to believe himself.  Wherefore let us examine, observe, and inspect our own hearts, for we ourselves are our own greatest flatterers: we should every night call ourselves to account, "What infirmity have I mastered today?  What passion opposed?  What temptation resisted?  What virtue acquired?"  Our vices will abate of themselves, if they be brought every day to the shrift. Oh the blessed sleep that follows such a diary!  Oh the tranquility, liberty, and greatness of the mind that is a spy upon itself, and a private censor of its own manners!  It is my custom (says our author) every night, so soon as the candle is out, to run over all the words and actions of the past day; and I let nothing escape me; for why should I fear the sight of my own errors, when I can admonish and forgive myself?  "I was a little too hot in such a dispute: my opinion might have been as well spared, for it gave offense, and did no good at all.  The thing was true, but all truths are not to be spoken at all time; I would I had held my tongue, for there is no contending either with fools or our superiors.  I have done ill, but it shall be no more."  If every man would but thus look into himself, it would be the better for us all.  What can be more reasonable than this daily review of a life that we cannot warrant for a moment?
All that is left is to determine the method.  Before sleep, like Seneca suggests, seems natural.  I'll try to type it up, otherwise I feel I wouldn't be as thorough as necessary.  I don't know yet how long it will take. The first night I try this is tonight, so this will be the next thing I do.

I'm looking forward to seeing how effective this is at improving myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment