Analytics

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Seneca on flame-wars



Seneca of course never commented on internet debates, but if he did, I'm sure he'd realize how quickly they can lead to anger and fruitless discussion. In Of a Happy Life, he writes of reflecting on his past actions of the day:
"I was a little too hot in such a dispute: my opinion might have been as well spared, for it gave offence, and did no good at all. The thing was true, but all truths are not to be spoken at all times; I would I had held my tongue, for there is no contending either with fools or our superiors. I have done ill, but it shall be so no more."
I think that captures what would have been the Stoic viewpoint to internet discussion. I'd boil it down to one rule: contribute to discussions in which you can help. Correcting someone's ignorance can be a help, but actually make sure you are helping other people, not just gratifying your ego in some way. I personally find it is rare that I have anything to contribute to most discussions, so I tend to stay silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment