Analytics

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Stoic way to eat out

Probably a Stoic would have no need to eat out. Certainly, no one with a kitchen technically needs to eat out. Thoreau, in Walden, survived his year quite Stoically eating mainly meals of simple breads made of just flour and Indian rye. Seneca writes
Coarse bread and water to a temperate man is as good as a feast
This is true, undoubtedly, but in this case men that temperate seem to be extremely rare.

For myself, I enjoy the variety and education I get when eating out. Yes, education. I learn about faraway cultures, I learn about ingredients and new ideas in cooking. None of this is strictly necessary, but I like it. Still, after reading up on Stoicism, I've tried to curtail my worst eating habits. I find that I almost always over-order in restaurants, and I feel that most people are even worse. A reasonable meal should be an entree per person, and perhaps a shared appetizer. No dessert. Really, though, one entree and an appetizer might suffice for a meal for two, if portion sizes are large. There's no need to leave a meal feeling stuffed, especially if one is paying top price for the food. Alcohol is usually marked up way too much, so I normally skip it.

One problem is going out with a group, though. Groups spend more at a restaurant, since everyone is sharing the costs. It's sort of a tragedy of the commons thing going on. I don't have a good solution to this. Socialization is important, and no Stoic is against that. Maybe just limiting the group meals to once in a while would help. Or just not going, and perhaps finding other ways to socialize. That would be too extreme, though. Eating with a group over food is one of the classic cultural social experiences, and I'd like to try to not avoid it.

Are there other Stoic restaurant ordering techniques that I'm missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment