Analytics

Saturday, December 3, 2011

A month of journaling

I mentioned at the start of this month that I would start a daily review journal for a month to see how it goes.  It's now been a month, and I'd like to summarize how it went.

The method I used was to just write a few paragraphs about my day in a text file.  I usually did my journal close to when I went to sleep.  I'd write about what I think went well (such as that I avoided eating any sweets), or what didn't go well (such as problems focusing at work).

I'll start with the bad points.  Of course, doing a journal entry every night was kind of a pain, even if it didn't take too long.  It was another thing to remember and to do.  One night I just skipped it because I was feeling sick (I had a minor cold), and another night I skipped it because I was just too tired, and once I just came home too late and didn't bother with it.  The worst part is that many days I felt like I had nothing new to say in my journal.

Even though it was hard to do every day, there were benefits.  Writing things down is simply real in a way that merely thinking is not.  In my experience, thoughts that are written down are clear thoughts, and my best thinking is typed out on a keyboard.  Perhaps Seneca could do a daily review in his head, but I'm not yet capable of it.

After thinking of what I did well or badly that day, I then spent some time thinking about my own death.  That was an interesting experience.  It made me realize that I really have to focus and do things that are noticeable and have high impact.  It made me a little restless with how little good I've done in my life.

I'm not sure what is next this month.  I made continue the journal in a slightly different form.  I need to take some time to think of it.  No, not thinking.  Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment