Analytics

Saturday, November 6, 2010

William B. Irvine's Writings on Stoicism

I first encountered William B. Irvine's book A Guide to the Good Life via BoingBoing.



Something about Stoicism interests me, probably because it seems to fit with ideas I already have, and my personality.  I decided to check out the book, which turned out to be a really good read.  It's not just about Stoic thought, but also about a more modern take on Stoic thought.  Prof. Irvine shows how to ditch the religious basis of Stoicism, and elegantly replace it with underpinnings more in line with modern science.  He explains Stoic thought to a modern reader, in modern terms.  It was really educational and illuminating.

Prof. Irvine went on to write a few articles on BoingBoing that talk about some of the points in the book.  You can see his guest contributions to BoingBoing here: Part 1Part 2, and Part 3.

I highly recommend this book.  It's quiet clearly written, and immensely practical.  If I had never read it, I would definitely not be writing this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment